When: Ideal time commitment: three to six months, seven hours (includes one hour break) or one shift of four hours per week. Monday–Saturday between 10.00-18.00 Sunday between 11.00-17.00
Role reports to: Shop Manager
You will contribute to ending homelessness by
The Crisis café operates from inside the Crisis charity shop (Shop from Crisis) and sells high quality hot and cold drinks, homemade cakes and snacks.
The Shop from Crisis sells donated goods sourced from the local community.
Crisis works with the local communities and volunteers to develop shops and cafes that customers like and that engage people with the Crisis mission and advocate for homeless people across the UK.
The organisation provide opportunities for Crisis members to gain work experience in various aspects of café operation and retail, build self-confidence, sell arts and crafts, and be active in the community in which they live.
You will be volunteering in the Crisis café serving drinks and snacks and at quiet times helping in the shop welcoming customers and with various tasks.
- Commitment to Crisis’ purpose and values including equality and social inclusion
- Good customer focus and ability to maintain a high standard of customer service
- Working knowledge of food hygiene and health and safety
- Good communications skills and ability to interact with a range of people including suppliers, colleagues, volunteers, and members of the local community
- To be able to work collaboratively with others and as part of a team
- Flexibility in terms of the tasks you are asked to undertake
- Ability to follow instructions and also take the initiative when required
- Enthusiasm, patience and respect for others
- Good time keeping, attendance and listening skills
- An understanding of the importance of confidentiality and maintaining boundaries
- Be positive, productive and have a passion to help end homelessness
- Workplace experience in a national organisation
- Opportunity to be part of a dynamic team and help with the development of a brand-new e-commerce department
- Complete Induction to the role and Crisis
- Support and training to develop barista and retail skills, till and customer service training
- Regular meetings with your supervisor to discuss how your volunteering is going and what other opportunities and training may be available to you
- A platform for building confidence
- References for prospective employers (for character reference min. three months of volunteering)
- Travel expenses (within Greater London) reimbursed. Lunch expenses paid if you volunteer for one day.
- Deliver hygienic and efficient production and presentation of all food and drink products served at the shop’s café
- To follow food safety and food hygiene at all times
- Maintain full product knowledge of our menu to relay to our customers
- Ensure the café meets the highest standards and expectations in all aspects of product and service quality
- Maintain excellent standards of customer service by valuing customer feedback
- Assist the shop team ensuring the café is kept to a high standard of cleanliness, making sure that all stock is checked, filled and rotated and that opening and closing procedures are kept accordingly
- Work cooperatively and with respect for fellow team members
- Support the shop manager with other duties in the shop (such as tidying stock, cleaning, sorting and pricing) when the café is quiet.
All Crisis volunteers are asked to:
Comply with Crisis policies including health and safety, data protection and code of conduct at all times
To maintain the privacy and confidentiality of all accessible information about members and the organisation
Be positive, productive and have the passion to help end homelessness.
Ideal time commitment: three to six months, seven hours (includes one hour break) or one shift of four hours per week. Monday–Saturday between 10.45-18.15 Sunday between 11.45-17.15