Location: Newcastle upon Tyne
When: Tuesdays: usually a half day either Tuesday morning or afternoon. Initially twice a month building up to weekly.
Role reports to: Tutor
You will contribute to ending homelessness by
Making a real difference in the lives of our members by supporting Crisis staff and members to visit venues, activities and services in the local community. This will help build members confidence, wellbeing, life skills and awareness of services/activities that can support members to end their homelessness and sustain their own accommodation.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, non-judgmental, patient and friendly
- Ability to take initiative in the role and work independently when required
- Flexibility in terms of the tasks you are asked to undertake and ability to manage own tasks
- Good time-keeping and reliability
- Administration skills such as making and receiving phone calls and basic IT skills
- An understanding of the importance of confidentiality and maintaining boundaries
- Be positive, productive and have a passion to help end homelessness
- Ability to travel to different venues in Newcastle and further afield (transport from Skylight will be provided for venues that are not within walking distance)
- Workplace experience in a national organisation
- The opportunity to share existing or develop new skills in a friendly and supportive environment
- Opportunities to work with staff and fellow volunteers during the year and an invite to our member celebrations where you can help us recognise the achievements of our members
- Regular meetings with your supervisor to discuss how your volunteering is going and what other opportunities and training may be available to you together with an induction
- A platform for building confidence
- A reference from a reputable organisation
- Coordinate guest speakers and member attendance for monthly meetings
- To support Crisis members in visiting organisations along-side Crisis staff outside of Crisis Skylight Newcastle as part of the Crisis in the Community pathway.
- Help to plan, arrange and evaluate the benefits of visits alongside the Skylight Newcastle Tutor.
- Create and maintain a list of contacts for organisations in the local community that could support members progression.
- Communicate details of visits to members and provide any updates as they occur.
- Contribute and adhere to Risks Assessments and assist in communicating these to members.
- Assist in organising materials in preparation for visits.
We expect volunteers to comply with Crisis policies including health and safety, data protection and code of conduct at all times.
- Travel and lunch expenses are reimbursed where appropriate
- We strive to ensure that our services are welcoming, remain relevant and are fully accessible to everyone that we help and support. We are particularly welcoming of volunteers from diverse and other marginalised communities, as this helps us ensure the best experience for those that we are here to help. People who have lived experience of homelessness are also particularly welcome to apply.